Do you have questions about our electrical, our services or our company in general? Check out these frequently asked questions to see if you can find the answers. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please call us at 512.774.6161.
Patience is a virtue – utility companies generally know when outages occur and promptly begin the restoration process. However, if you notice that you are the only house on the block without power, please call our 24-hour emergency electrical repair service immediately. In either case, safety is first and foremost. Only use a flashlight for emergency lighting, never use candles. You should always keep fresh batteries in a battery-operated radio for use in extreme weather. Turning off any electrical equipment you were using when the power went out will minimize surges in your lines. Avoid opening your refrigerator or freezer. Leaving one light on will help you know when power has been restored. If you are using a generator, never operate it inside the home or garage.
Most of the electricity in your home is used by the heating and air system and water heating. Make sure your heating and cooling systems are running efficiently and central systems are checked twice a year. By installing the most energy-efficient rated equipment, you will save money over the lifetime of the equipment. You could also install a programmable thermostat that will operate your systems more effectively, thus saving run times of your system and saving money. You know those long showers you love so much? Well, they cost you dearly when it comes to heating the water. Cutting back on your shower duration can affect your bill. Another thing that could cause increases in your electric consumption would be a bad breaker or loose connections at the breaker box. Having trained professionals check it could minimize some costs. To keep your equipment running efficiently, keep heating and cooling air ducts clean and outdoor equipment free from dirt and other debris. Energy conservation not only saves our resources, but saves you money.
No, it is not a safety issue unless the fuse box is damaged or deteriorating. There are two main issues with fuses. First, after a fuse protects your home from an overloaded circuit, you have to throw it away. Therefore, you may go through many fuses. Secondly, the majority of insurance companies now require that fuse boxes be replaced with circuit breakers. We’ll check the local electrical codes for your particular situation.
Go to your main electrical panel, usually located in a garage or carport area on the opposite side of the wall from your electric meter. If you are in an apartment setting the panel is usually in a closet or storage room. Open up the panel to reveal the various circuit breakers. The ‘tripped’ breaker will not be in either the on or off position, but rather in between. Sometimes a small red portion of the breaker will be exposed to show you the tripped breaker. To reset it, just push the switch to the off position and then back to the on position. You should hear a snapping sound and feel some resistance. In the event that the circuit continues to trip, there may be an excessive load on the circuit. Correcting the overload should solve your problem. If that doesn’t work, contact Mister Sparky® for an evaluation.
A GFI is an abbreviation for a Ground Fault Interrupter. It is a specially designed outlet normally used in locations where moisture can accumulate, such as kitchens, baths and laundry areas, to protect you from electrical shock. A GFI measures the resistance on the “positive” and “neutral” loads connected to it, and if there is more resistance in either of the 2 loads, the GFI trips. The GFI has a built-in circuit breaker to reset once the problem has been resolved.
Frayed electrical cords are the primary cause of electrical fires during holidays and celebrations. By maintaining your holiday lights you can minimize the risk. You should inspect them each year for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up. You should use only lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory. Do not overload electrical outlets. Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Make sure to periodically check the wires – they should not be warm to the touch. And, do not leave holiday lights unattended.
Contact us today to have one of our Austin electricians resolve your electrical needs.
Well my thoughts of Mister Sparky. Well Mister Sparky is definitely on time courteous and very professional. Like one of the family. My first call for any electrical or any Appliance services that I would need. Would be Mister Sparky. Thank you Mr. Sparky.
Had a problem with electricity arcing in my main circuit breaker box. All lights upstairs would flicker or go out completely. Luckily, I have a home warranty and the cost will be reimbursed. Called for a repair on a Sunday and a tech was at my house in about an hour or so. He took the time to show me the bad panel and breakers (I could hear the pop and crackle of the electricity). The electrician was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The Problem was fixed and everything seems to be working fine. I would recommend them in the future.
Called Mr Sparky and they were prompt! We were putting our home on the market and had one issue that needed immediate attention. Within five minutes of arriving they found the problem! Josh was our technician; he was friendly, honest, and courteous. You can trust Mr. Sparky to not only get the job done, but to be fair and not gouge you with high prices. We recently had an electrical storm which caused a power surge and we lost power to a few outlets.
Prompt, efficient friendly staff, Bryan and George were both a pleasure to meet and do business with. I would most definitely recommend this company. I would also add how impressed I am with the pride they show in the community services they provide. For me that is going above and beyond.